03 August, 2011

I'm grateful for my Job, BUT...

I’m grateful for my JOB but…

1. I miss my Bible – in order to be ‘hall right’, I have to wake up early – brush, wash, dress up, make up (thank God for Mary Kay Ash) - and then hit the road! Morning meeting starts at 7pm; (sorry – 7am) if I’m late, the compliance officer gladly debits my account. As a result, reading/studying the Bible (Life’s manual) is a mere wish! Don’t get me wrong guys, I read / manage to read my Bible, it’s just that I simply rush through the verses and the guide to fulfill ALL righteousness (PS: – but who am I deceiving? Both God and Lucifer know the truth as it were). I made a resolve to read through The Bible this year but as with all ‘’New Year resolutions…it’s gone with the wind’’

2. I miss my Mee-time – in 1998, while awaiting our delayed SSCE result, one of my Mom’s many friends (Mrs. Damole) said to Mee, “…going out into the day without saying your prayers is like going out on a rainy day without an umbrella, you get wet and soaked and probably catch a cold!’’ wise words. Unfortunately, over 12 years after/later, I am still battling with the observance of my Quiet time. If only I could pray (and maybe fast) as often as my Muslim friends do, my life would be a lot better, ALL the works.

3. I miss my freedom – having to get up in the morning to go to work seems like bondage! I always encourage myself by the simple reminder, with freedom comes responsibility, so I usually get up and go! The comfort I enjoy at home is a result of the effort I make at work and since bills have to be paid, I just do it!!! – I so pity “OluMuyiwa”. By the time he shows up, hmmn…. I choose to reserve my comments about the receipts I’ve been piling for him.

4. I miss my beauty sleep – big fat lie. I don’t sleep. Many people don’t appreciate this but sleep is a gift! I once stayed in a service apartment where I was referred to as the ‘alarm clock’. My flat mates usually told me to wake them up at odd times during the night either to get them up to read or complete tasks they brought home from work. I was a sure banker, Lol. As the ‘epo-oyinbo’ of the lot, it was a guarantee that they would be awakened. I’m not actually blaming my job for my insomnia, but I do miss my sleep.

5. Come to think of it, I’m giving up so much for this job and at the end, what do I get?
• More work – to take home. (I’ve always wondered why the reward for a job well done is More WORK!) – HR, could you kindly explain this…?!? Ok, I am HR!
• Requests from friends who are broke and need to offset their bills (aka -->exposed folks)
• Bills from the mechanic, the salon, the tailor, the plumber, the landlord, the Network, the ISP, the filling station, the car park assistants, the food vendor, the airline, the security man at the eatery, the galleria, BIS, subscriptions, bills bills bills ~ iSigh
• SOS from my aburo’s in school. They are always broke, always in dire need – I was once a student so I tend to accede to their requests. I understand…
Lord God!
Who am I working for, Mee or them? Cos it looks like they get the money, ALL the Money! However, I am grateful for my job, for the opportunity to earn, spend and give.

Spending power is a rare privilege. There was a time I was employable and yet I was unemployed. I have been on both sides of the divide. Some have been lucky…luckier.

But there is a waiting period for everyone; only that it comes at different times to different people.

For some, the wait may be with respect to:
• Education - Basic or Advanced
• Job – Entry level job or Job migration – dream job, Promotion on the Job
• Marriage – Getting married, Bearing Children (conception, delivery), Staying married
• Housing – Finding a crib, Getting the funds, Buying a crib
… and on and on.

At every stage, we will have needs, we will experience delays, and we will have setbacks. There will be unprecedented events. Yet the bills will have to be paid. Life goes on – there will always be these needs, as long as we are alive.

Knowing this, we should learn to prioritize… what things are important, what things are urgent, what things can wait? Some people live only for themselves (sadly) but I have realized that some things are usually more rewarding than others.

Life is better shared with company. There are times I choose to be alone, but I have realized that the moments I have had the most fun are the times I spent with or invested in other people over lunch, dinner, a trip, a movie, a seminar, other.

I am not such a big fan of ‘hanging out’ Younique is, I am not ; but every-once-in-a-while, I do. It’s always for Mee, an opportunity to get out of myself and learn. Life is too short to be spent on Mee alone. Even I don’t deserve that much of my time!

Every day I live my life to deserve the words on my epitaph (the words I’d like to have written on my epitaph) because whether or not I admit it, in less than 50 years if Jesus tarries, I’d be gone (gone?) and the generation after me… wait a minute, this is the part where I STOP !!!

No comments: