10 October, 2013

Growing Up – The Challenges and Responsibilities Of ~

Sunday 29th September

Yesterday 28th September would have been my birthday in a not-too-distant past. But ever since I began to grow up, I've become far too boring for words. Growing up is boring. No wonder most grownups seem so boring. Only a few adults manage to keep the spark of childhood alive within them... Sigh! Bills, Bills, Bills; More bills and expenses… That's what we spend our time and energy thinking about. Every waking moment is dedicated to securing the future, an indefinite future that we have very little or absolutely no control over.

With respect to the future, one thing I still wonder about is... "Why should I get married?" I find it quite unfortunate, that I'm still at this cross roads.It's a crying shame actually but here I am. Wondering why the **** I should contemplate marriage. Why for crying out loud should I get married? From my emotionally warped standpoint, it's sickening to say the least ... Invariably, for the woman. The men seem to simply have a joy ride. “We-Men” (to be read as women) bend to their whims and caprices in the name of submission and subservience. After all, they're men. And it’s a man’s world. Men! SMH

Monday 30th September

I don't think marriage is mandatory for everyone. Oh no, I don't. It seems more like an obligation for companionship, procreation and all the other things that make men seem responsible...so that mankind may not go extinct! Otherwise, I do not see the usefulness of the institution. Men are better as brothers, cousins, friends, boyfriends and colleagues and just random guys. That's about as close as they get...and I think that's where it should end…

Wednesday 2nd October 2013

When I’m still mulling over an article, I try not to drive; I prefer to be driven. It’s very easy to lose thoughts when you’re battling traffic and other road users. Secondly, I find it difficult to recall nicely formed thoughts that popped my mind once I don't pen them down immediately. Most times, I wish our minds had a thought-recording device, so we can document random thoughts in the shower, or whilst driving, or when we're engaged in other activities. On my way home from work today, I hailed a cab; and I learnt more than three valuable lessons about viewpoints and perspectives in the short ride home. Many of us have become accustomed to seeing gullies and craters on our roads that we don’t realize how bad these roads are, sitting in the comfort of cars with good shock absorbers. I think, sometimes, it's good to view things from a different perspective. Every move the cab guy made had a resonating effect on my back.

Friday 4th October

Whilst I was brooding over my angst for the mandatory institution called marriage, and wallowing in my bitterness against men and their selfish but overly demanding nature, I recalled the cab incident and decided to be open minded and not so certain about my convictions. I had an impromptu 10am meeting with a client and dashed off. Upon my return to the office, I had an altercation with a senior female colleague. Given my job hopping and hustle history, this account is not something I’m particularly happy to report, especially since it nearly tarnished my goody-two-shoes image on this job; but in retrospect, I’m glad it happened; and right on time too.

Filly Smith is an elderly lady who married a Briton, she relocated to Nigeria eons ago, after what must have been a divorce due to irreconcilable differences, and is still unmarried to date and childless. All of this would have made no dent in my armor if Filly Smith wasn’t soul-less. She’s so soul-less. She seems to have no life. And I’d hate to end up like her, and all her type who are scattered in top positions in several corporate organizations in various industries across the nation.

Saturday 5th October 2013

Still fishing for content for my blog, I decided to visit a married friend today. I’ve always wondered how and why several women (girls and ladies) give up on a corporate career and become stay-at-home moms shortly after they get married and/or start a family; especially in THIS economy. From what I gather, largely from observation and my interaction with these women, there's a level of fulfillment that comes from kids… a sort of joy. What they term Raison d'être, in french ~ A reason for living. Every other reason pales in comparison to this.

Sunday 6th October

Here’s my conclusion.

Miserable as it sounds, and as foolish and misguided as it can be: It's no secret that men are bastards. That they are overly demanding and selfish is an open secret. However, my counselor once said to me, “anyone who determines the way you live controls your future”. The irony is by staying bitter and unmarried, I’m letting some man control me. Nobody, no man, deserves that! I wouldn't let any man deprive me of the joy of having and raising healthy kids and building a home.

…to be continued

No comments: